30+ Years of LAI3g and FPAR3g Data Sets
We are providing you free access to a 30+ year long global data sets of vegetation leaf area index (LAI3g) and fraction vegetation absorbed photosynthetically active radiation (FPAR3g). These data sets were derived from the third generation GIMMS NDVI3g data set (hence the suffix "3g"). The data sets are at 1/12 degree resolution, 15-day composites (2 per month) and span the period July 1981 to December 2011. A set of neural networks were first trained on best-quality and significantly post-processed MODIS LAI and FPAR products and AVHRR GIMMS NDVI3g data for the overlapping period (2000 to 2009). The trained neural networks were then used to produce the LAI3g and FPAR3g data sets.
Please note the following:
(1) If you wish to submit an article to the special dedicated to NDVI3g/LAI3g/FPAR3g of the open source journal "Remote Sensing" you are welcome.
(2) These data sets, plus the NDVI3g data set when approved for release by Dr. Tucker, the special issue articles, codes and other documents will be posted at NASA Earth Exchange
(3) For all information, please contact Ranga B. Myneni
Download the Data Sets and Documentation
1) LAI3g Data Set
2) FPAR3g Data Set
3) LAI3g-FPAR3g documentation
4) Paper describing the production and evaluation of the data sets
5) Supporting material accompanying the paper